RE: [GENERAL] For data based web site, which RDBMS is better & wh y ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Herouth Maoz
Subject RE: [GENERAL] For data based web site, which RDBMS is better & wh y ?
Date
List pgsql-general
At 00:59 +0300 on 20/05/1999, Jackson, DeJuan wrote:

> The problem here is to find impartial comparisons.
> The question between MySQL and PostgreSQL usually come down to
>     Do I care most about speed?  - usually true for purely Web Apps.
> or
>     Do I need transaction and the other features PostgreSQL offers?  -
> which tends to only be true if you plan on using the database for things
> other than web development.

To be more exact, you have to ask yourself whether only one person will be
performing updates at a time. The lack of transactions for MySQL implies
lack of locks, and thus lack of support for concurrent updates.

Herouth

--
Herouth Maoz, Internet developer.
http://telem.openu.ac.il/~herutma